Hampshire Genealogical Society
Froxfield - St. Peters High Cross
Photograph provided by Alan Steele
The following history is taken from a booklet entitled ‘Froxfield & Privett. A taste of history’ by Tony Newman.
There appears to have been a church at Froxfield Green since Norman times as is evidenced by the pillars taken from the old building and placed in the present church .
The foundation stone of St. Peter's, High Cross, was laid on June 6th, 1861 by Joseph Martineau, the principle contributor. On this occasion a silver trowel was presented to him by the parishioners as a mark of respect. More than 700 people were present at the ceremony and all were entertained to a feast afterwards on Mr. Thorpe's meadows.
The church was consecrated on November 11th, 1862 and a dinner was given to more than 300 parishioners. Cake and tea were provided for the school children. The cost of the building was £2400. The tower contains six bells given by the Silvester family of The Slade. As noted before, the pillars are of Norman work and were part of the original church at The Green. The West window contains some beautiful stained glass depicting the life of St. Peter and was placed there as a memorial to Joseph Martineau. As well as being the principle contributor to the building, he gave a silver chalice and flagon for the communion service. The church also owns a rare Elizabethan chalice and paten which is currently part of a permanent exhibition of church silver in Winchester Cathedral.
Return to Index of Churches and Schools